Thursday, March 26, 2009

The New Normal

Well, this week has been eventful, but yet uneventful all at the same time (if that makes any sense)! I am finally starting to feel like we are kind of getting into a routine of sorts. I told Brad the other night that our new life with a child seems more normal with each passing day. Ellie's umbilical cord stump hasn't fallen off yet so on Monday I took her to the pediatrician so they could help speed up the process a little bit. While we were there they weighed her and she was 9 pds 1oz.
I am finally feeling more confident taking her out places by myself, so we took our first trip to Target on Tuesday and it went well. I will admit we were just there long enough for me to pick up the things on my list, but that's okay! Up until this week Ellie has been a great napper and as a rule has had to be woken up in order to eat. Unfortunately this is no longer the case. Now she naps for around 30 minutes (an hour if I'm lucky) and wakes up. We have been trying our best to get her back to sleep, although this doesn't always happen. This has been very traumatic for me since I was getting a lot of "me time" until this week. Luckily for us she is still sleeping well at night for the most part.
Last night Brad gave Ellie a bottle for the first time and it didn't phase her a bit. She took it as if she had been drinking from a bottle all her life. We are planning on having me pump once at night for Brad to be able to feed her in the evening so that they can bond and to give me a little break. I must admit that watching her take that bottle last night was exciting but a little sad all at the same time. I'm happy for the freedom that this allows me but sad that she doesn't have to have me to eat.

2 comments:

Windot said...

Aw, yay for Brad feeding Ellie. I know it's bittersweet. Isn't it weird how you can't picture life before having your children.

Jen Huffman said...

What a sweet picture - Brad looks like a natural!